Monday 16 November 2009

GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords (1995)


Lyrically my favourtie hip-hop ablum ever? I think so. The GZA (pronounced Jizza) is easily recognised as the most intelligent member of the Wu-Tang Clan and remains one of the only members with a shred of talent left in his body. This is a violent, dark and bloody album and the beats and lyrics reflect this. It, as the album cover suggests, is like a graphic novel with over the top violence and the like. In nearly every line of the album you can find double, even triple, meanings. The main idea of the album is GZA rapping about the ninja wu-tang persona and how certain aspects of this relate to real life situations in New York. It's difficult to explain as I get a different idea of what the album's about everytime I listen to it.
The production is amazing from RZA, very raw and grimey in the original US way, rather than the Wiley sense of the word. If this album is lyrically enjoyed I recommend the Wu's first solo album for further listening, if it is enjoyed due to the beats then I recommend the first album of Mobb Deep.
I hope you enjoy it Matt.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome, I look forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chief...you Hip-Hop extraordinaire you. Will give a listen, always wanted to get into Wu Tang Clan but never new where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GZA is the best place to start :)

    I also forgot to mention the movie the skits are taken from throughout the album are from the brilliant Shogun Assassin, you should watch it if you ever get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wu's first solo album was Method Man's 'Tical', the GZA/Genius' first album was 'Words From A Genius' on Cold Chillin' (prior to the Wu), Mobb Deep's first album 'Juvenile Hell' isn't that grimey...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah sorry about that, I meant The Infamous which is actually Mobb's 2nd album. I don't really know why you're telling me what Meth and GZA's first albums are.

    ReplyDelete